Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Well, I Know I'm an Elitist

But that's beside the point.

Kay, I've been avoiding talking about politics, but it seems that (today especially) everywhere I turn, I am reminded of every new scandal that happens, and I've actually got opinions.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that I am an Obama supporter. I have been for quite some time. I honestly believe that he is what's best for this country right now. When I first heard about the new "scandalous comments" that Obama made last week, I couldn't believe that the media was making such an enormous deal out of it. At first. Then I remembered the way it was in high school for me. I was surrounded by people, who right now are probably very insulted with Obama, calling him unpatriotic and probably agreeing with McCain and Hillary. Well, probably more McCain, because I know they won't vote for that woman. I know these people, who would make a big deal out of it. They fell hook line and sinker for Bush. I remember being appalled, after someone told me that my teacher (who registered as a conscientious objector during Vietnam) was cowardly, Un-American, and should've been forced to fight. He spewed venom at me for even implying that I agreed with my teacher. These people exist, and I used to be surrounded by them.

And, guess what. They're bitter about the goverment, and cling on to their little issues, and yes, their guns. Remember how Texan I am? Obama is 100% correct. Hands down. And you know what? America needs to hear this. I'm sorry. We don't need candidates who pretend that everything's perfect in America, and all the blue collar and rural folks are perfectly happy with everything, and haven't been totally screwed by the government time and time again. There are very real reasons why rural America goes Red (as well as being stereotypically racist, homophobic, misogynistic, etc), and perhaps it wasn't prudent for him to point them out, but he was being honest and not worrying about the problematic nature of his words. These people vote contrary to what's economically beneficial for them, because of the social issues. Remember the last elections? (FYI This is why Huckabee scared the crap out of me) And, he was trying to explain why those voters might be frustrated. He really doesn't play the same political game as Hillary.

And McCain and Hillary saying this makes Obama elitist is the biggest political spin I've heard in a while. It's demeaning for those two candidates to try to make themselves more in touch with the common people than Barack Obama. Hillary is trying to make herself seem like a good ole country gal, which Obama was right to speak out against.

I guess these comments broke my usual stoic calm about the political climate in this country. I'm just so tired of saying "oh, come on" anytime Hillary tries to challenge him. Usually because of the way she challenges him.

But, I'm not exactly a person who needs much convincing. And, even I seem to be buying into the hype about turning his little comments into something much bigger than they were intended to be. Come on people, can we at least try to focus on real issues? People need to stop being offended, and look at the candidate who will do the best for the whole country, and not those who try to pander to everyone's limited points of view.

Anyone want to move to Europe?

God, I'm being too deep these days. I need to get back to writing about dumb things. Oh, the live finale of The Biggest Loser is on tonight. I'll probably talk about that tomorrow.

No comments: