Thursday, February 7, 2008

A Typical Day

After much questioning on what exactly I do all day at my job, I thought I'd write up a timeline of a typical day. I will be adding to this all day as events unfold.

6:45: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
6:54: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:03: Alarm goes off. Snooze. I'm having a weird dream that I can't remember when I wake up. It can't be weirder than the dream where Matthew McConaughey and I were race car drivers, who were maybe in love.
7:12: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:21: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:30: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:39: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:48: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
7:57: Alarm goes off. Snooze. Also, I get up.
8:06: Turn on computer. Brush teeth, floss, etc.
8:15: Alarm goes off. Turn it off this time.
8:18: Get dressed and try to straighten hair as best I can.
8:22: Go on the interwebs and check weather. Try not to get sucked into my email.
8:25: Go to bus stop.
8:44: Finally get on a bus. Currently reading Jasper Fforde's The Fourth Bear.
9:09: Arrive at work, log in, and take phone off voicemail.
9:10: Coffee!
9:11: Check Outlook. Check Gmail. Words of the day are extempore & hypnopompic. I think I'm still in a hypnopompic state.
9:22: Finish catch-up on this blog. Now it really will be in real time.
9:27: Open database and add one entry.
9:28: Television Without Pity! Start reading weecap for yesterday's Project Runway.
9:29: That was quick. But I enjoyed yesterday's episode, for the sheer over-the-top-ness of it. I mean, the creators of Heatherette were the judges. Maybe there's a real word for that? Grandeur? No. The only other word I can think of is "drag-queen-itude" and I think that was used last night. Let's see what the folks at bravotv.com think of the episode.
9:32: Tim's Take. Regarding Chris: "The effect was jungle disco: Rousseau does Vegas." Hee. I agree with a coworker of mine--I would LOVE to have Tim Gunn as my uncle, who I can call when I feel down just so he can tell me to "Make it work!" and "Carry On!" And I'd have to, because he's Tim Gunn.
9:50: I should get some breakfast. Off to Cosi!
9:59: Breakfast=fruit cup and muffin topper. ( I just couldn't make myself write "muffin top") I totally got shortchanged on strawberries this time.
10:02: Added two new fields in database entries. Almost out of work for the day.
10:03: OH! I forgot to check Project Rungay!
10:06: Those boys make me laugh. Now I need to find something else to do.
10:12: Check email.
10:13: More coffee.
10:16: The Gloria Jean k-cups ARE so much better than the Green Mountain k-cups.
10:17: I can't belive I said that. I need to go home and apologize to my gourmet French Roast.
10:18: WHAT? NO PINEAPPLE IN MY FRUIT CUP?!? BLASPHEMY!
10:20: Okay, time for some real work. Reviewing a file and making copies to send on to other people in the department. It's slightly confusing, and I will need to ask a recruiter for more information.
10:43: Out of work again. And out of fruit.
10:44: Check email.
10:45: Television Without Pity again. This time for the Cashmere Mafia recaplet. Heavens, this show is so awful. The writing was clearly done by teenage girls gossiping in Chem AP and dreaming about what life will be like when they're rich and fabulous. The writing is just so bad and contrived and GOD THESE PEOPLE CAN'T ACT EVEN THOUGH THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO--Frances O'Connor, I'm looking at you. (Except for the fake lesbian, SHE'S HILARIOUS. And I think she actually means to be.) Yet, I watch it. What's wrong with me?
10:49: No seriously, the faux lesbian plotline makes DEBS seem realistic.
10:55: Okay, maybe I was overly critical about the acting. There's only so much you can do with horrible scripts and makeovers that make you look like a ten-dollar hooker. And the direction that calls for them to try to sound sultry even when they're talking about, like, their children.
11:00: Add another thing to the database.
11:02: On to Go Fug Yourself. So much snark for a Thursday! I love it! Snarkiness at Fashion Week. Yay!
11:14: Check email. And Facebook.
11:18: Add another file to the database.
11:22: Checking out cnn.com. Being informed about world events is normally good.
11:23: Except for all the reported deaths, tornado victims, and the fiery stand-off in LA. And there goes Romney. He's just suspending the campaign, but it's not a good sign. Not that the GOP hasn't made up its mind already. The Democratic side is a MUCH more interesting race.
11:32: There appears to be some drama here at work. The receptionist has come to talk with my pod-mates. Without spying, I can tell that the receptionist is crying and "that bitch is lying" and she just wants to go home now. Not prying, but it's too late in the week for that shit.
11:34: This is interesting. This sort of search for bliss may influence my own travels in the future. According to another "study," (not sure if I agree with how it quantifies happiness) Denmark is the happiest place in the world. Scandanavia seems to be very happy in general. I always knew I had a good reason for liking the Vikings. All that pillaging is excellent fodder for the soul.
11:44: Crisis seems to have been averted. For now.
11:45: Check email.
11:48: I should go work out today. I didn't work out yesterday, and ate half a pizza. Now that I'm officially signed up for a real gym, there should be no excuse. Except for the weather.
11:55: Sent birthday Facebook message.
12:01: Go Fug Yourself again. Hee, see what I did just then? No? Never mind. The latest entry brings up The Golden Girls, and has me thinking of Halloween.
12:10: Playing with two staple removers and making them "talk" to one another. Silently, of course, so as not to disturb my coworkers' web surfing.
12:11: I should make them little outfits.
12:12: Speaking of staples, why are there so many of them embedded in the carpet around my desk? Did the last person at my desk just staple them into the ground for giggles when she quit? Still looking for that errant Kiss that I lost earlier in the week.
12:15: Epicurious for egg recipes. Cooking this weekend, so I need to have some sort of eggy plan. Souffles?
12:23: Just commiserated with a coworker regarding colleges attacking their alumni for donations. Thankfully, U of C hasn't started calling me. YET.
12:35: Received response from recruiter, and I don't have to do anything else for that file.
12:47: OH MY GOD, LET'S MAKE SOME BAKED ALASKA!
1:00: Coworker is having a loud argument with her significant other via telephone. Now I'm starving due to looking at recipes for 45 minutes. Both of these factors lead to Lunch Time!
1:16: Lunch is sushi and gyoza from Toro. I had to be short with a particularly pushy homeless man outside. Don't say anything! I know what I just said; you don't have to make any wisecracks.
1:20: Check email.
1:22: Now I'm freaking myself out that I'm shooting myself in the foot with this posting. What if my bosses know how to use the internet? Time to change my Facebook settings.
1:30: Got two grains of rice stuck in my keyboard, and finally removed them due to my diligent pressing of the "f" "g" and "v" keys, as well as extra finesse with my chopsticks.
1:54: Go Fug Yourself yet again.
2:00: Finally changed out of snow boots. My right elbow really hurts. Back to work.
2:10: Organizational background duties starting back up again. One file organized with summary sheet typed up.
2:13: Check email.
2:14: Mixing it up--going with hot chocolate this time. I'm a rebel.
2:16: No, seriously, my elbow really hurts.
2:20: Now I'm just biding my time, since our department is throwing a surprise going-away party for my boss' boss, who is leaving the firm tomorrow. We're supposed to meet in a conference room a few minutes before 3:00, turn off the lights (by the way, the conference room has glass walls, so...) and (probably, I don't really know the plan) yell surprise when she comes in. It's my first surprise party, and it's probably going to be as cheesy as it sounds. Eh, there'll be cake.
4:34: Well, that was surprisingly fun. She was even surprised. NO NEW EMAILS OR FILES.
4:47: Going to end this blog, so I can pack up and go home.

Thus ends my typical day. Yeah, University of Chicago degree!

1 comment:

LibraryLia said...

stin, this was wicked amusing. i especially liked the parts about the rice in the keyboard and the surprise party in a glass room....