Saturday, February 2, 2008

I'm Ridiculous

Today was a shopping day. On some weekends, I actually get off my couch, turn off the TV and go downtown. Today was one of those days.

First, I decided that I needed new jeans. I've been working out more, so my current jeans are getting really baggy. I decided that what I really needed was a pair of Levi's. Now, I've never actually owned Levi's jeans, but I felt that it was a necessity that I should own a pair. After purchasing the jeans (which I will inevitably need to get taken up) I realized why I wanted Levi's. Remember the last episode of Project Runway, where the challenge was to create an iconic look from Levi's 501 jeans; yeah, that's right. Now, I know that I'm easily influenced by the television already. For example, after watching Top Chef, I always want to start cooking immediately; after watching The Biggest Loser, I always go work out. But this is different. This is product placement, and I thought that I was immune to its nefarious effects. Apparently not. I really do like the way the jeans look on me, and Levi's is a great brand. But still. I feel a little dirty and used. Damn you Project Runway! Oh well, at least I have nice, new jeans. TV-1; Cristina-0.

Then I went to get some coffee from Fox & Obel. God, that store is so ridiculous. I kind of love it. They spoil me with their fancy coffees and designer chocolates. I also picked up some bacon, because I've wanted a bacon & egg scramble for weeks. I also noticed more Spanish snack foods, which I normally order from http://www.tienda.com/. Oh, Fox & Obel, my love for you grows every time I cross your pretentious threshold.

So then I wanted booze. Naturally. I crossed the street and went to UnCork It! I've actually wanted to try Icewine for a while, so I wanted to pick some up. And lo and behold! When I entered the store, a woman was handing out free Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum samples. I clearly made the right choice. After embarrassingly proving that I am, in fact, over 21, she gave me a rum & coke. It was actually very good, and may influence my rum purchases in the future. But where was the Icewine? Ah, found it by the Sherry. But I don't know what to do, and now I'm starting to get tipsy, walking around the store with a rum & coke. I found a young store employee and asked him about Icewine, as I tried desperately not to slur. I noted that he was cute and appeared to be somewhat flustered. Since I had a rum and coke, I went into club mode and got more smiley. He stammered. Yay wiles! I always get very excited when cute workers notice me. But the moral of this story is: I now know the story of Icewine, a new brand of rum, and that liquor stores should ALWAYS have free samples.

Remember when I was going to start saving money in anticipation of paying back my loans? I wonder what happened to that. Oh yeah, me. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get more liquor. THE END.

2 comments:

LB said...

0 + new jeans > 1

Go Cristina! I'm cheering for you in the match up with tv. And, I'm loving this blog.

MGL said...

It's 1:33am. I just got back from a show and don't want to go to sleep just yet, mainly because I know I should take a shower before I sleep and am too tired to do that, and so logically I checked your blog...and hooray! A new entry! I agree with Lizzy, yay for the blog.