Friday, May 30, 2008

Where Am I? WHO AM I?!?

I haven't really felt like writing anything recently. I guess I've been in a bit of a rut these days, what with watching all of the season finales of my favorite programming. How about that finale of Lost, eh? Anyone?

I've decided that TV needs more shows that are cinematic in many ways. Primarily in what Tv Tropes, a delightful website where I while away hours during my workdays, calls "Crowning Moments of Awesome." If you've seen such cinematic masterpieces such as Lord of the Rings, Sin City, 300, and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, you've already been saturated in them. Sometimes nauseatingly so, to the detriment of any actual plotline. They are moments when something happens when the audience goes "Wha? Did he just? NO WAY!" Or something like that. Some key lines from Crowning Moments of Awesome are "THIS IS SPARTA," "Dodge This," and "Not my daughter, you bitch." The last was a literary example, of course. They aren't subtle, but man are they fun. The pure existence of CMOA is to make a person instantly feel that the character is capable of being such a badass that we have to like him, even if we're supposed to hate him. They also get a casual viewer's adrenaline going, which is fun. One of my personal favorites is Boromir's from LoTR, when he keeps getting shot with arrows when he's protecting the hobbits, and keeps getting up and fighting. Like four times. It was mad cool.

Lost does this occasionally, and certain characters (e.g. John Locke, Mr. Eko, Benjamin Linus) are perceived as cool, because of their physical and mental perseverance, and in some cases, preternatural ability to manipulate people into doing exactly what they want. This is often the case with badass villains as Chessmasters, as opposed to heroes, who mainly concentrate on persevering when all odds are against them.

Almost all good action movies have this sort of trope, but somehow they never seem as good in TV shows. They would obviously occur more frequently in dramas, but the payoff is never quite the same. As I said before, Lost does have its share of "what the hell" moments (As seen in the most recent episode. Wow.), and I'm sure other dramas are that intense. I guess I just want to see more epic moments. Lucky for me that Joss Whedon's coming out with a new TV show.

They don't even have to be in action-based programs. I'm sure Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy can have their own set of them. Perhaps they do, and I just don't know because I refuse to watch those shows. A Mean Girl's moment when the villain(ess) manages to outwit all the heroes with careful manipulation of all of the major characters would count. That is even as dramatic as snarky witticisms during dramatic sword fights. Tv Tropes calls it a Xanatos Gambit. (You would be amazed to learn that I actually work harder than many of the other people at my workplace. By the way.)

Sigh. Why are my demands for entertainment never fully satisfied? All I want is subtle-dialogued, witty plots with suitably adrenaline pumping scenes at appropriately spaced intervals. Anyone?

1 comment:

Eric said...

New Joss Whedon show!?! Tell me more!!!