Thursday, October 2, 2008

Costume? What Costume?

I realize that it's October again, which normally means Halloween is here. The Walgreens also gave me some hints about that. I normally phone in a costume. I mean, last year's vampire wasn't exactly inspired. I don't ever really have fun with it, even that one year that I was the pimp. I think my hos had a better time, to be perfectly honest.

I think I realized my problem: they never represent me. Who I am. Blah blah Halloween is about being something not you, blah blah. But no! That's not really true, is it? Where's the fun in being a character or thing that you don't like/aren't comfortable with? I now know what I have to do: just embrace my inner geek and be done with it.

This doesn't mean that I'm going to be, like, Princess Leia or something. That's just unoriginal. I don't want to be something that everyone gets. I'd like to be something that even just a single person can come up to me and say "awesome." Isn't that the point of geekdom?

But, still, I don't want to go too crazy with it. I'm actually a pretty low-level geek, as far as my interests go. I ain't touching Star Trek, or anything else that is notorious for its Conventions.

Here are some ideas:

1. A random person living in The Village. Perhaps even a Number 2! This is actually seeming more and more like the right option. The extras on the TV show (which I am admittedly watching these days) always wear the bizarrest crap. It's all rainbow colors and strange capes, and crazy hats. The Penny Farthing Bicycle is the symbol for the village. It's pretty awesome. Also it's an amazing show, which I highly recommend. Ooh, I could also carry a blown up white balloon to represent "Rover." I really like this idea.

2. Sarah Freakin' Connor. This is basically my costume to indulge badassitude. Seriously. I could go for the insane asylum, pen-stabbing, pajama-wearing Sarah Connor. Or I could do the tank-top & ray ban military look. What props other than fake guns could I use, though? The dismembered head of a Terminator? This could be an option.

3. Kaylee Frye. Betcha thought that I would've said something related to Buffy, right? Nope. I'm not even going to try to relate in any way physically to Sarah Michelle Gellar or Alyson Hannigan. Plus, those aren't really costumes. More like nice(ish) clothes. Naw, Kaylee is a much better choice; she'll also be pretty easy to duplicate. A mixture of frontier-wear and Chinese-inspired clothing. I could even carry that umbrella that she had in Serenity (pilot, not movie). A cute choice, and maybe I'll meet some drunken Browncoats or something. Gotta show Firefly some love these days too!

4. Agent Dana Scully. I'd just wear my suit. This is a horrible idea. Let's move on.

5. Speaking of horrible, a Captain Hammer groupie. All that a Captain Hammer groupie would really need is a Captain Hammer t-shirt. Who wouldn't want a picture of Nathan Fillion on their shirt! Alternatively, I could go as one of the members of the Evil League of Evil. There were a few women, like Fury Leika or Snakebite or Tie-Die. I'm having way too much fun with this.

6. CARMEN SANDIEGO. It's all about the red trenchcoat & fedora & hilariously named henchmen. I think this one speaks for itself. I could find a miniature version of the Eiffel Tower and carry it around with me. This may be too broad, though. Awesome, but broad.

That's all that I can think of for now. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to thoughts. This may be one of the first Halloweens that I actually get excited about what I'm going to go as.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I would never know what time of year it was if I didn't go to Walgreens regularly.

2. CARMEN SANDIEGO IS A GENIUS IDEA!! YOU NEED TO DO THIS. DO IIIIIT!

3. Remember how there were people last year who asked me what I was? They did not "get" my costume. AND I WAS A BEE. THERE WAS NOTHING TO GET. Just keep that in mind when planning your subtle, geeky costumes :)

Laura

LibraryLia said...

OH MAN GOD Can i be patty larceny? is she like a real character? i don't remember!!

I too have been having trouble picking a costume. my roommate is being Hermione.

Also i don't know who most of those people you mentioned are haha but carmen. that's a good one. i wish i had a red trench coat for real life also, re: Laura's post: HA!! they didn't get it. a bee. A BEE!!! hahah

LibraryLia said...

also, does anyone remember that fall when i was going to just dress totally normally and when people asked me what i was i'd reply "a slut". thats still my best idea haha sad really

Eric said...

HAHAHA I didn't hear about that, Lia. Anyway, it turns out that young Paul is also thinking about going as Carmen Sandiego (I didn't think to ask if he was going to wear a wig)

I think you should do that. It's just the right amount of obscurity, so that people will get it if they ask you what you are

Cristina said...

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! It seems the consensus is for Carmen Sandiego, if not mainly because she's the most well-known. I approve of that. Okay, guess I'll be on the lookout for a red trench/fedora combo. Once I get that, the world will bow before me! Or whatever. I'll keep Kaylee and random Prisoner person as backups in case I can't assemble a proper Sandiego costume. Woo! Halloween!