Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Media Alert!

Since I know everyone is so interested in my thoughts about what I am reading/watching/making up, here's an update on stuff! Yay vague stuff!

I recently read The Sirens of Titan by Vonnegut. One of the Vonnegut books that I haven't read so far. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. This is a perfect example of how Vonnegut can create fun light-hearted fiction, with wonderful undercurrents of societal/religious commentary. Very interesting stuff. I am looking forward to rereading it, which is something I haven't gotten to say in a while. I came out feeling much better for humanity, which is always a plus.

To provide a stark contrast, I'm finally reading Twilight. Let me preface this by saying that I am already biased against the book(s), based upon particular fan reactions as well as interviews I've read. I'm reading it out of sheer curiousity, though. So far, I understand why people like it, but I also understand why I probably won't. I'm honestly trying to give it a chance, but it just may not happen. Sorry, fans! Maybe I'll secretly fall for it, but right now I'm just feeling "ehn." I'm sure I'll have a much more pretentious rant about this later.

On the silver screen, I managed to watch most of the premiere of Fringe last night. So far, I'm getting that this is a combination of The X-Files and Lost. I mean, that makes sense since it's made by the guy who created Lost. Eh, it could have potential, or just be really confusing and bad. Like the later seasons of The X-Files. No Mulder and Scully, though, so the potential of the idea of the show isn't as high. Eh, I'll try to watch it, probably DVR it, but not need to watch it live. This is what I'm guessing. Investigating supernatural events just doesn't have the same flair if it's not in the woods of Canada.

I think that's pretty much it. Project Runway tonight. I'm warming up to this season. And actually starting to like a few of the designers. Is it just me or is the female talent pool this season significantly better than the male talent pool? Certainly at this point, I think. Get ready for that move to Lifetime, everybody!

I think I need to figure out when my favorite tv shows are coming back to the air, or I'll completely miss them. I actually caught some of the new 90210 show just because it was something new on TV. THIS IS PROBLEMATIC. I need my Office fix, as well as Pushing Daisies, The Riches, and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. And probably a few more that I'm forgetting. I can't remember what original programming felt like. Well, that isn't a reality tv show. PLEASE MAKE ME STOP WATCHING THEM.

Okay, have to go, as I am very busy and important.

3 comments:

Eric said...

Terminator is starting next week!!! I'm so excited, especially since they ended in like 5347892 cliffhangers last season

Anonymous said...

Sirens of Titan is such a good one!! I just finished Deadeye Dick for the first time last week. That one's fun, too. Vonnegut is a genius, plain and simple. Have you read Breakfast of Champions? Cats Cradle? Galapagos is my favorite so far.

(Laura)

Cristina said...

I still have so much Vonnegut to read! Of those particular books I've only read Cat's Cradle. But, it's definitely a good read. Maybe after I finish Twilight, I'll pick up some more Vonnegut.