Friday, July 11, 2008

The Ballad of the Wind Fish is Da Bomb

I have a confession to make. Please bear with me, because this very personal and embarrassing. I am in love with The Legend of Zelda. Now, this is not a secret, but it's just started coming back to me, about how much I loved those games. I blame it on my coworker, who keeps regaling me with stories about how he stays up all night playing Metal Gear. He's the one getting married in a month, by the way. But, I guess through his great desire to talk about the intricate story lines of that game, I have rediscovered my own love. Of a little elf boy named Link, who wears green clothes, who runs around killing monsters with a sword and bow & arrow and hookshot. AND OCARINA! Yay!
So I plugged in the N64 last night, for the first time in years. I decided to go with Majora's Mask, the most messed up game ever invented. Awesome. I've already played through the first three days of the game, and it. was. so. much. FUN. I forgot how freaky the animation is. I mean, this is the moon (OF DOOM):


And the titular mask:


It's looking at MY SOUL.

The transformation sequences are particularly freaky, where Link changes into various creatures/peoples using different masks. It's always a really intense, with Link giving a curdling scream as we watch the obviously painful transformation. These games terrified me when I was younger, to the point where I couldn't finish certain dungeons. I know, I know--it's just a game. But, if you're saying that, you obviously haven't played through enough. This game has lots of screaming and jump moments. The scary music never helped matters! Maybe now I've grown up enough where I can play it more fully.
I mean, I'm not going to turn into one of these people:

(Although I can tell which tunic she's currently wearing to vanquish the mask. Yo, don't judge!)
Zelda just seems like an overall fun game: you get to play magical songs with the ocarina, help people to get fun prizes, and get to kill things with a sword! All in a lovely pastoral/medieval-type setting. Sigh. Legend of Zelda was my very first game (on Gameboy--I never had the original Nintendo), and currently the only 2 games I own for my N64.
Oh, this reminds me of the great IGN April Fool's Day joke from this past year. I'll be the first to admit that it totally suckered me in, and got me so excited. Here, check it out: Best Hoax Ever. Fans of the game from far and wide nearly exploded with dweeby joy and then excruciating torment. And, actually, given the reaction, they should totally make that movie. It would be extremely lucrative, and probably much better than other video games already turned into movies, like, say, Doom. I mean, it's got already got a good plot, interesting characters, and a magical world to be able to create a compelling movie. I'd go see it.

1 comment:

Eric said...

OMG I LOVE ZELDA

In fact, maybe I'll take a cue from the cosplayers and I'll be Link this halloween

I totally want a Wii just so I can play the new Zelda game