Wednesday, January 21, 2009

INT. DLA PIPER OFFICES--MORNING

Hi everyone. I haven't really been feeling "bloggy" recently, so the entries have kind of dropped off. I have, however, been doing, um, okay, with my New Year's Resolutions so far. No fabulously well, but okay. Which is fine. They should pick up after my birthday, which was my real jumping off point. The one I never told anyone about. So here are some things that I've been doing: I am eating very well, and am now in a committed relationship with Peapod Delivery Service. I think the only things that I'll actually get from the store is better produce, since I absolutely hate that I can't choose my own. I've been cooking more, which has helped my health immensely, not to mention my wallet. I've kind of been going to the gym. I went last night, for example. The week that Chicago was in the 9th Circle of Hell was a bit of a down week for me. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. But over all, it's been okay.

Okay, so I'm starting to get back into the swing of writing that story thingamabob. I wrote 35 pages and freaked out, basically because I felt like my style didn't sound good on the page. And that concerned me enough to take a little breather. That lasted weeks. BUT NOW, I am back. Judging by the title, I bet some of y'all can tell what I'm turning my story into. Hint: it rhymes with "mystery flipped."

For me, it just makes more sense. I like writing dialogue, as evidenced by my longwinded conversations with my credit cards and cats and my brain and various viscera. These convos aren't really the best examples of good dialogue, but I do try to make them fun to read. I actually try to get the comedic timing right, even if they're kind of strange bits of dialogue. I also tend to write how I think/speak, which contributes to my love for dialogue.

So, I'm writing a spec tv pilot based off of my idea. I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, and I'm having a fabulous time. I've been rereading Jane Espenson's blog for her writing tips. [she was a writer on Buffy, and came up with some of the funniest, quirkiest episodes like "Band Candy" and "A New Man"] I'm just kind of making it up as I go, but so far, I like this format much better. And the beginning of my story actually really lends itself to this different medium. Maybe I'll get a book just so I know whether or not I'm doing technical things correctly or not. I'm already almost done with the outline (Starting Act IV) , and am getting ready for the real writing. So, uh, yay?

Let's face it: this is the medium for me. Look back on my blog entries, and you'll see one constant, I love to pick apart TV. Love it. I'm often more involved with fictional characters' lives than some real people's that I know. Sad, yet tells you something about me. THIS DAMN STORY WILL GET WRITTEN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

So far, so good.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Yeah, the health level of my food went way up when Eddie, Alex and I started making big Trader Joe's trips

Also, I think I knew about you and TV. I kind of feel the same way, it's my favorite media although I'm a huge fan of books as well

I think that a script takes way less investment in the minutiae, though, which makes it a good jumping-off point